How to Access Canada and BC Heat Pump Rebates
Are you considering installing a ductless heat pump in your home in British Columbia?
You may already know that the provincial government, along with the federal government and utility companies, offer BC heat pump rebates to help offset the cost of installations.
Taking the right steps to secure these grants may feel overwhelming, but we’re here to help guide you through the claims process. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through everything you need to know about heat pump rebates and how to access all the information you need.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding heat pump rebates or want more information about ductless heat pumps in general, don’t hesitate to reach out to Heat Savers Home Comfort in Victoria, BC – we are here to assist you every step of the way!
Recognizing the Benefits of a Heat Pump
Before delving into the rebate process, let’s talk about why switching to a heat pump is a smart choice:
- Heat pumps are highly efficient systems that can cool your home during warmer months and provide reliable heating during colder seasons.
- By leveraging the natural heat exchange process, heat pumps consume less energy compared to traditional heating and cooling methods, translating into reduced energy costs and a lighter environmental impact.
- Making the switch to a heat pump can yield thousands of dollars in grant funding, which helps to offset the purchasing and installation costs.
*Check out our latest blog post to read 4 Reasons to Choose a Ductless vs. Ducted Heat Pump.
Provincial Government Rebates for Heat Pump Installations
The BC Government (CleanBC), together with FortisBC and BC Hydro, offers various incentives and savings to help homeowners switch to more energy-efficient heating systems. Some municipalities also offer additional rebate top-ups for switching to a heat pump. With all rebates, however, it’s important to remember that they don’t apply to all properties and municipal top-ups are given on a first-come, first-served basis.
To qualify for these heat pump rebates, there are several criteria you need to meet, and each program is unique in its criteria. There are, however, some general criteria that apply to all the BC heat pump rebates:
- The qualifying home must be a year-round primary residence at least 12 months old and meet certain residential criteria.
- You must have a current residential utility service account with FortisBC and/or BC Hydro.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of heat pump installation. The value of rebates paid will not exceed the invoice amount.
- Heat pump must be installed by a Home Performance Contractor Network member like Heat Savers Home Comfort Ltd.
- You’re responsible for ensuring you meet the program eligibility requirements before applying.
What Are the Requirements for FortisBC and BC Hydro Rebates?
Before you buy a heat pump, it’s recommended to review the requirements outlined by these partner organizations so you have a clear idea of how to access the maximum rebates. Be sure to review the application form in advance to give yourself a clear picture of what is involved.
Here are the general requirements for both companies:
- To qualify for a heat pump rebate, you must currently use electric heat.
- The new pump must be on the eligible heat pump list and be sized to act as the primary heating system of your home.
- If you are currently heated by natural gas, propane or oil, you can receive more money in rebates.
NOTE: You are not eligible to apply for heat pump rebates if you are currently receiving funding from the CleanBC Better Homes Income Qualified Program
FortisBC Specific Requirements:
- For a ductless heat pump, one indoor unit must be in the main living area of the home.
- There are specific requirements for the types of heat pumps allowed, found here.
BC Hydro Specific Requirements:
- There are additional eligibility criteria for the type of heat pump, as well as installation requirements, found here.
- The only supporting document you need for their heat pump rebate is your invoice. Check out the sample invoice here.
*Interested in a breakdown of how the provincial rebate process works? Click here for more information.
Federal Government Rebates for Heat Pump Installations
Federally, the Canadian government offers rebates of up to $ 5,000 for installing a heat pump through the Canada Greener Homes Grant. Here are a few details:
- All homeowners are eligible to apply as long as the house is at least six months old. You must prove ownership and that the home is your primary residence.
- The following groups are also eligible to apply for multiple homes, as long as the homes are owned by the applicant and occupied by Indigenous households:
- Indigenous governments or organizations
- Housing management bodies and other Indigenous service delivery organizations
- To receive a grant, you must pay for both pre and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations from a registered service organization within your area. These evaluations identify which energy-efficient measure will most benefit your home. The initial evaluation must be done before installing your heat pump. Upon completion, you can claim up to $600 towards the cost of the evaluations.
- You can receive a rebate of up to $ 5,000, although this is not guaranteed.
- You will only receive grant money if you complete both evaluations and at least one of the recommended energy-efficiency retrofits.
- The Canadian government also offers loans up to $40,000 for energy upgrades for eligible products and installations – see more information here.
*Interested in how the federal grant process works? Click here for more information.
Choose a Qualified Heat Pump Installer – Heat Savers Home Comfort!
Whether you want to install a heat pump or know if your home could be eligible for BC heat pump rebates, our knowledgeable team is ready to assist you.
By choosing Heat Savers Home Comfort, you can expect personalized advice and guidance tailored to your specific needs. We understand the unique challenges of heating and cooling homes in British Columbia and can provide valuable insights on maximizing the benefits of heat pump rebates.
So why wait? Take advantage of this opportunity to connect with the experts at Heat Savers Home Comfort in Victoria, BC. We are dedicated to helping homeowners like you save money on energy costs while enjoying increased comfort in your home. Contact us today for a free estimate!